Wednesday, September 3, 2008

On childhood memories

So who remembers this guy? Hands anyone? Everyone? Right, so the majority of you probably know Piccolo, the badass alien from the Dragonball saga. So, now do you recognize this guy?

What? No? CLEARLY it's the same guy right?

So when I heard there was a new film coming out in 2009 based on Dragonball, my first thought was FAIL. I mean, how would that even work? There were no living people that looked like any of these characters, and the Matrix Revolutions already gave me a sour taste for the kind of fighting we'd probably see from Hollywood's incarnation of Goku's adventure.

But then I heard that Stephen Chow was attached to it, and suddenly there was a glimmer of hope. I loved Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, and his style of film making fit the notion of a living cartoon better than anyone I would've thought of. I was cautiously optimistic.

Until now.

For those of you that don't know, that's James Marsters underneath that horrible generic alien costume. Yes, the same James Marsters who was in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Now I've got nothing against the guy, but Piccolo he is not.

Oh right, and this guy is Goku.

I don't really need to say anything else here, do I?

4 comments:

Lynn said...

the least they could have done is made him green

JO ninja does life said...

James Marsters ftw. Piccolo ftw. But this incarnation looks like....a star trek character? epic fail.

kingkao said...

You are looking at all the bad points. Who cares, Emmy Rossum as Bulma, nice!

I think Jo meant ftl. Epic fail.

Adam said...

maybe it's just me but piccolo looks pretty gangster in that screenshot... it could be the sweet font or black background but i dunno, pretty sexy.

but wat the hell is up with goku, looks like a 5 year old playing dress up

i wonder if in the movie they'll make each character talk for 10,000+ hours before fighting